|Manga Debut||Chapter 1|
|Anime Debut||Episode 1|
|Japanese Voice||Takeshi Kusao|
|English Voice||Robert Tinkler |
Bambam Labalan (ABC-5 Dub)
|[v · t · e]|
Hanamichi Sakuragi (桜木 花道 Sakuragi Hanamichi) is the main character of the series. At the beginning of the series, Sakuragi is a slacker, good for nothing other than fighting delinquent, who's the leader of the feared "Sakuragi Legion" (Hanamichi's Army in the English Dub), which consists of his four friends Mito, Noma, Ohkusu and Takamiya. Sakuragi's quest for love is nothing but humiliating. He is always trying to ask girls out, but is rejected constantly, the fiftieth rejection occurring at the start of the series. He then met Haruko Akagi, a lovely and friendly basketball fangirl, whom he fell in love with, immediately. Haruko's encouragement led to him to join the Shohoku basketball team. However, as a complete beginner, he is not able to keep up with the rest of the team at first, despite his physical attributes (great height, athleticism, stamina, speed and leaping ability). With just 4 months, he has become a fully realized basketball player and is now considered a player that Shohoku cannot afford to lose.
Throughout the manga, he is very short tempered, arrogant and aggressive. He begins regarding himself as a genius even when he has not learned any skills. He also branded himself as the "Rebound King" when his rebounding ability started to surface which was accepted and considered as valid. His most recognizable trait is his red hair and he shaves it as reparation for an error that led to a loss in the interhigh tournament against Kainan.
Sakuragi has a habit of making fun of other players by giving nicknames other than their names. He calls Akagi "gorilla or gori" (causing other people to mimic - much to Akagi's irritation), Uozumi "Boss monkey", Kiyota "Wild monkey", Maki "Uncle or Senior", Masahiro "Totem pole", Masashi "Bald Gori", Mikio Kawata "Meatball", Miyamasu "alien" and Fujima "substitute". Despite this, the only one doing the same thing to Sakuragi is Kiyota who calls him "red haired monkey". The only one who was not given a nickname by him is Kaede Rukawa who he considers as his rival in basketball and in Haruko.
In spite of the setbacks he has had to face, Sakuragi displays a great deal of tenacity and determination that carry him through and help reciprocate for his other failings, both on and off the court. Although his love for Haruko and rivalry with Rukawa are the main driving forces motivating him to succeed in basketball, his injury during the Sannoh match makes him realize that he has actually come to love the game, leading him to give his all for his team and bring them victory.
At first, he can only do dunks and lay-ups but under Akagi's training, his rebounding prowess becomes the main support for the team. Then with Coach Anzai's training, he is able to finish 20,000 shots in a week to further improve his shooting range. Despite this, Mito notes that standing at 45 degrees to the right gives Sakuragi higher success rate at shooting jump shots.
Jumping Power and Rebounding
As seen and witnessed by Haruko and Hikoichi, the skills Sakuragi really excels at is his jumping, speed and power. Masashi Kawata of Sannoh notes that he has never seen a person with that kind of knee power. The height of his jump is incredibly high as noted by Coach Takato of Kainan High as he was able to jump back to block Sawakita's dunk attempt and stop the alley-oop to Masashi, despite him falling to the floor. His jumping ability makes him a formidable rebounder under the tutelage of Akagi. With this, he is more than enough to outrebound strong centers such as Toru Hanagata, Jun Uozomi and Masahiro Nobe of Sannoh. Coach Doumoto was even forced to put Masashi Kawata into him just to stop him from rebounding though it was only minimized
He gained his abnormal strength from his fights as a delinquent that hardened him before playing basketball. Akagi notes that Sakuragi is much stronger than Jun Uozumi of Ryonan despite the latter being smaller. This was shown when he easily threw Koshino Hiroaki of Ryonan in their practice game when the latter attempted to take the ball from him. He is also noted for being strong as Akagi says that in a battle of strength, no one can beat him. He is able to hold his own against Mikio Kawata who weighs 130 kg.
Speed and Stamina
Beside his jumping power and strength, he is also fast as he can catch up to defend, combined with his large amount of stamina. These was tested when Totsuka Tetsuya of Ryokufu High School challenged him in a battle of speed. However Sakuragi's stamina got the best of the latter as he tires out first while Sakuragi continues to run on both ends.
The only weakness that Sakuragi has shown is having a weak opponent as he is unable to show his true skills and abilities. Mito notices this when Yoshinori Miyamasu of Kainan subs in as Sakuragi starts to miss shots. Another weakness of Sakuragi for the majority of the series is that his shooting presence was not highly accurate which changed just before the Nationals. He is also a weak on-ball defender and can easily fall for fakes.
Sakuragi's love for Haruko makes him a better player as well as a person throughout the series. However, she does not reciprocate his feelings until the end of the manga, during the Sannoh game as she comes to check on his back. He is initially taken aback by her big crush on Rukawa, but still tries to win her by motivating himself to learn new moves.
It is unclear whether Haruko begins to like him or whether she still sees him as her best friend.
The two players are polar opposites of one another. But Rukawa is pretty much what Sakuragi wants to be: skillful in basketball and popular with women. While the two do not like each other, Rukawa appreciates Sakuragi's hustle and determination to play, as noted when Rukawa intentionally fouled to have Sakuragi check back in to the court. The two's resolve came when Rukawa made the game winning assist to Sakuragi as Shohoku won against Sannoh.
Sakuragi has a few rivals in both anime and movies and his rivals are similar to his personality as well as his troublemaking antics and being fouled out in the game with the exception of Fukuda who outplays him in the first half of the game against Ryonan.
Rango is the center player from team Tsukubu during the second movie. Rango meets Sakuragi after gaining a crush towards Haruko who practices basketball all by herself as he saves her ball by shooting the basketball dunk while in a motorcycle helmet. They started their rivalry when Sakuragi angrily headbutts him after seeing him had a crush on Haruko as he also headbutts him in retaliation after Sakuragi's friends discovered that Rango is able to withstand Sakuragi's headbutt just like both Rukawa and Akagi. During the best of 8 game before facing Shoyo, He makes fun out of Sakuragi while he's on the bench and later when he replaces Kogure to play the game, He and Sakuragi are seen bickering when they wanted to face Rukawa after the latter calls them two idiots. Sakuragi manages to get another rebound but knocking Rango to the ground results him in getting a fifth foul and ends up being fouled out. In the end of the movie, Rango congratulates them for winning as Haruko arrives to praise Sakuragi's team victory as both ends up fighting each other just for Haruko. Sakuragi also calls him as the "Golden-Haired Monkey" before team Tsukubu takes their time-out.
Kiyota is another rival to Sakuragi and his troublemaking antics and his personality closely resembles to him in which he calls Sakuragi as the "Red-Haired Monkey" as the latter calls him as the "Wild Monkey". Both characters shared the same jersey #10 and their positions in playing basketball are different and they are trying to make a rival towards Rukawa. However, their antics cause both captains Akagi and Maki punch them to their heads and they apologized for the embarassment of both of their teams before the start of their basketball match. This also happens after the national eliminations in Kanagawa, where Sakuragi joins up with him and Maki to watch a basketball match between both Meioh and Aiwa in Aichi as both are seen bickering with each other when they met. Later after Meioh wins against Aiwa, he and Sakuragi are booing at Hiroshi Morishige and his teammates for their victory.
Fukuda is also became Sakuragi's rival when he wants to challenge him to a basketball match by convincing one of his friends to challenge him but the latter refuses by headbutting them due to his depression after their loss against Kainan. In the match against Ryonan, he and Sakuragi challenged to a loop-sided match resulting in the first half where Sakuragi attempts to stop him from shooting but failed as he was knocked off the ground injures his forehead as he states to him that he won as his injured forehead continues to bleed before they take him back on the bench. In the second half Sakuragi manages to outplayed him after he gets an forehead injury in the first half.
Morishige is the super rookie from Meioh High School and also similar to Sakuragi who also being fouled out in the game due to his physical immense strength and clumsiness of getting a technical foul when he's hanging on the dunk after bumping both Aiwa players with a massive slam dunk. This raises Sakuragi's fighting spirit who wanted to challenge him after watching his match against Aiwa. In his case, he causes him to injure Aiwa's ace, Dai Moroboshi during their match due to his physical immense strength and after the game it also knocks Sakuragi to the ground when they passed each other. He also appears as a grudge through Sakuragi's mind.
It has been mentioned in the anime about Hanamichi’s father, who he calls old man, who had a heart attack when Hanamichi returned home. But Hanamichi couldn’t do anything for him because he was stopped by a group of high school students and was beaten up by them and was unable to get an ambulance for his father. This flashback was shown after Coach Anzai had his heart attack reminding Hanamichi of his past. As nothing was mentioned of his father after that, he is presumably dead.
- Both Sakuragi and Tsubomi from the Heartcatch Pretty Cure! are same with have to "Hana".
- He could've broke the Highschool record in number of rebounds against Tsukubu High School if not called for a charging foul due to his physical contact with Kouichiro Rango which knocked the latter down the floor.
- Sakuragi is based on NBA player Dennis "The Worm" Rodman because of his rebounding and his dyed hair (it was red at one point). They both share the same jersey number. Rodman wore number 10 during his time with the Detroit Pistons and later on, the San Antonio Spurs . Rodman was a fierce defender while Sakuragi is somewhat a weak on-ball defender as he is easily thrown off with a feint. He was better at shooting and jumped higher than Rodman. The rebounding style of Rodman was different from that of Sakuragi’s who rebounded with his jumping ability, whereas Rodman get the rebounds using his physical mass or chipping the ball until he gets it. However, when he was matched up against Masahiro Nobe of Sannoh, he utilized his jumping power combined with chipping the ball and totally outrebounds the latter, even with Masashi Kawata trying to help. Coach Anzai describes this as his 'true ability'.
- There were many coincidences during Rodman’s career that paralleled Sakuragi’s journey through basketball. The Chicago Bulls were the counterparts of the Shohoku team, a clear reference since the two teams jerseys were completely identical. Rodman did play for the Bulls, but interestingly only began in 1996, which was the year “Slam Dunk” ended in. There was also an incident in the same year where Rodman headbutted referee Ted Bernhardt; a recurring gag throughout the series was Sakuragi’s deadly headbutt, used most often on his own gang or on his enemies when he was infuriated.
- Sakuragi's friendship with Miyagi is similar to the relationship between power forward Karl Malone and point guard John Stockton, although its unlikely that Inoue meant it to be a reference.
- Sakuragi has similarities with Kuroko no Basuke's Taiga Kagami. Both are red-haired, jump high and wear the same jersey no. But Kagami is more skillful than Sakuragi as he can shoot anywhere and even shoot 3s. Kagami also has signature skills due to the manga itself as every player has their very own signature skills. But Sakuragi has a stronger physique and stamina than Kagami.
- It is presumed that after the game against Sannoh, Coach Anzai didn't let him play against Aiwa because of his injury in the back. If so, because of his absence, Shohoku was easily trashed by Aiwa.